On the West side of the river IJssel, the impressive statue of the Bashkir horseman overlooks the ‘Kozakkenhaven / Harbour of the Cossacks’ in Veessen. On the East side, in the village Wijhe, the statue of general Alexander von Benckendorff is placed, right at the location of the Bashkir bivouac in 1813.
Both statues are made by the Russian sculptor Alexander Taratynov, living and working in The Netherlands.
This project, consisting of two images – one in Veessen and one in Wijhe – is made possible in part by the municipalities of Heerde and of Olst-Wijhe, as well as the Prince Bernhard Cultuurfonds and the Province of Overijssel, and various local organizations, including Museum Wijhe / Historical Society Wijhe, the Heerder Historical Society, Wij zijn Heerde, Visit Veluwe, Stichting Kozakkenveer, Visit Oost, the Slinger van Salland and others. We are grateful for the support of the Russian Embassy in The Hague and the Autonomous Republic of Bashkortostan.